Thursday, April 30, 2009

Choosing the right words

Choose your words carefully. I know I've told our boys that before. Meaning be intentional about what you say and also don't say something you will want to take back later. I should listen to my own advice. I had a friend tell me today that something I had said was hurtful to him. I wish I could have taken it back. Or at least said it better. Apparently my communication skills aren't as good as I imagine. Good reminder that what we say, in any context, can be pretty powerful. We write off comments as "just kidding" or being sarcastic. Probably true most of the time, but I want to remember that it doesn't really matter what or how I say something but how the other person perceives it that matters. If I am more concerned about the other person than making my point, then my words will reflect that. I am so glad that he was willing to be honest with me because that helps me to keep a better perspective on how the way I live and the things I say impact people on many different levels. Back to kindergarten to learn the basics again.

Also had an unexpected phone call from a former student. He wanted to run an idea by me. Let's just say I love the way he is exploring the possibilities of making a huge dream come true. I love hearing people dream and talk about what they want to accomplish. Not small things that they can necessarily do on their own, but things they know will require God's involvement to accomplish them. That energizes me a lot. People willing to live their lives with a purpose that is bigger than themselves. Why think small and only look at what we can accomplish? That's not really dreaming to me. I love being surrounded by people who stretch my view. I have several friends who do that on a consistent basis, sometimes intentionally and other times just because that is how they live. Those who are willing to pursue their dreams are the ones who will change the status quo. How do you challenge the average?

No comments: