Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What are you doing?

I was reading out of "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan today at lunch when I read the following "What are you doing that requires faith?" That is a tough question for me. One of those questions that makes me stop and evaluate what it is exactly that I am doing. Am I doing anything that I can't accomplish on my own? As a Christian I am making a statement that I believe in God and am trying to pursue living my life as Jesus did. Do my actions show that? Or is the reality that I act no differently than those who make no claims to believe in those things. Do people look at the church and ask what is the difference? If they can't see God accomplishing things in my life that I can't do on my own, then I am not living a life that requires faith. We talk a lot about faith, but I wonder how much people really see that faith lived out. Do I claim faith, but live as if there is no God? Reading through the bible we see stories of people who would probably be described today as crazy or at least radical in the things they did. They took God at his word and lived on faith - Noah worked on building a huge ark for 120 years when it has never rained before, the disciples followed Jesus and took nothing with them as they relied on him to provide, and there are countless other stories. Sure they were messed up people just like me, but they lived out their faith. What are you doing today that requires having faith in God?

No comments: