Thursday, April 9, 2009

Not what you expected

I had wanted to go by Jamba Juice last night on my way to AZero but didn't have time because I had to work late. So instead I went by this morning. I was looking forward to a banana berry smoothie (first since spilling it all over the entry way at work) and some oatmeal to start the day off right. Appears that all of the computers at 600 Jamba Juice stores were brought down by a computer upgrade last night. Problem one was that they could only accept cash this morning so that meant I couldn't use my gift card. No problem as I amazingly had cash with me. Next problem was that the oatmeal wouldn't be ready for another 10 minutes. Okay, I would just find something at work. Not as good, but still workable. So as I am in my car leaving I take a drink of my smoothie. Have to say it was probably the blandest drink I have ever had from there. No taste whatsoever. Don't know what they forgot to add but it was obviously what gives it the taste I enjoy. So I think this morning would qualify as not going at all like I expected.

When I got my first "real" job out of college I remember thinking how exciting it was. I would get to travel some, was making what seemed like an incredible amount of money, got to work with a lot of people my age, and enjoyed what I was doing. Within a couple of years, the travel wasn't as appealing, the money just didn't seem to go very far, half of those people annoyed me and the work was repetitious (and I am not big on predictable and routine). It wasn't what I expected.

Those are immaterial situations, but what about the more important things. What about when you pour yourself into people hoping to make a difference, but not seeing any results? What about when you feel called to do something in ministry, but things aren't going at all like what you expected? Wondering if sometimes our expectations are out of line with what God's expectations are. What if his expectations are for us to be consistent for 20 years with the same small group? We may have dreams of impacting lots of people, he may want us to pour into 2. Thinking about the prophets in the old testament. Doubt that they had expectations of preaching the same message for years without many or even any positive responses. The thing with expectations is that we can't control how others will respond. We have a part to play and must do that, but the rest is really out of our control. So things will often probably not be what you expected, but that is okay if we are doing the part God expects us to do. The rest of it is in His control which will always turn about better than what I could make happen on my own. What are you expecting? Is it what God is expecting?

No comments: