Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The change experience

Had one of those moments last night of realizing how drastically different my life has become over the last year. Lisa and I were talking last night after running in multiple directions in the evening (not the new part) and I realized that the next day was April 15th. That date used to be a cause for celebration around our house. (We decided we are still going to celebrate because you can't really have too many excuses to get away for some time together.) It meant that the insane busy season would be over and life would slow down at least for a little while. Now it was just another night. The change in my job has meant so many different things in our lives. We are able to have a date night almost every week, we get the chance to enjoy community with our good friends more often (especially the Saturday night gang), I've been able to write more frequently, I've been able to read and think about things that interest me, I am learning what it is like to have incredibly close friends again. One change has made huge ripples in my life.

That got me thinking about change. Most people don't like change as it disrupts the routine, but sometimes that can be a freeing experience. What if we did things differently in how we try to be the church? What kind of ripple effect would that have? I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and we were talking about how sometimes we keep doing the same thing and keep expecting different results. Wouldn't it be exciting to try some new things and not know what the results will be? The biggest hurdle is really convincing people that change can be good. What would change in your life look like? Sometimes change comes about when we least expect it. We hadn't planned on it, but it is coming regardless. Are we ready for all of the things coming? Probably not, but that is part of the freedom. We get to learn and experience life in a new way. How exciting is that? Wondering what the next change in my life will bring. Hopefully it continues to bring more incredible people into my life, new things to experience, and things that allow me learn and grow. For those of you who don't like change quite as much, hang on for the ride because it will be worth it in the end.

No comments: