Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Impressions

Chaos - that is what things feel like for me today. I feel like I have re-entered life and am way out of step. Out of touch with what is happening in the lives of the people around me. Answering e-mails at work about things that I don't remember. The sad thing is that I was only gone a couple of days. Life moves on in a blur.

Days like this make me wonder what it will be like when I die. I think most people feel like they will be missed when they die, that they have impacted the world around them in some important way. I on the other hand am not so sure. I know that I will be missed by some but also realize how quickly we adapt as well. In high school, your best friend moves away and you promise to keep in touch. Five years or ten years later, you don't know what they are doing anymore. Your roommate in college that you were extremely close with, now you are maybe friends with on facebook. Life continues to move on even when we step out the picture.

That is probably one of my biggest struggles. I want to impact the lives of the people that are in my life, but know that it may be fleeting. I want the funeral where people talk about how much their lives were changed because they caught a glimpse of Jesus in the way that I tried to live. My fear is that it isn't that though. The friends I have today may take note that I am not here anymore, but a couple days later they will be moving on with life without a second thought. We really don't know how much time we get to impact those around us. Maybe several years, maybe a short season, but whatever the time frame I want to do the most I can to leave a lasting impression of who Jesus is. Anything less than that, then I have blown an opportunity that I can't get back. What impressions are you making today?

1 comment:

brianj33 said...

I have some of those same thoughts, but also run across people who are still grieving someone who died 15 years ago.
A related thought - I know a ton of people who are just like their mom or dad. This thought probably helps me focus who needs lots of my time and attention.
But I think about the others in my life too. The danger of thinking too much about the future is not living in the present.
By the way, I like the new lay-out. Tell me it's not a year old. I usually just read it in Reader.