Thursday, April 2, 2009

It is a choice

One of my favorite things to say, which my wife finds annoying at times, is that everything is a choice. Granted I may push it to the extreme at times just to get a reaction (I've been known to do that type of thing occasionally), but I do think there is a lot of truth in the statement. As I was coming into work this morning, I kept having the thought "it is my choice". I may not get to choose the circumstances, but how I respond to them is my choice. Things may not go the way I would like, but I choose what I do with that. If I need to change part of my personality, that is choice I have. We make lots of decisions every day. Those are choices that are leading us somewhere. Those choices add up to the direction my life is heading. If I choose to look at the negative, complain about things, find fault with people, those are all choices that are leading somewhere with who I am. I don't think I look enough at where those are leading. If someone asked me if I wanted to be a depressed, critical and bitter person, I don't think that would be a hard choice to make - NO! But the reality is we don't wake up at the destination, but it is the choices along the way that determine where we are heading. So for today, I get the chance to choose how I respond, how I love, how I forgive, how I see the good in the circumstances. A lot of things are out of my control, but I always have a choice in how I live in those situations.

So those are my thoughts this morning driving into work. On my way in I stopped by Jamba Juice (probably my favorite breakfast is a smoothie from there along with either their oatmeal or yogurt) so the morning was off to a good start. Here is where God's sense of humor comes into play. To get into our floor you have to swipe a electronic pass to unlock the doors. As I go to do this, the lid on my smoothie pops off sending my power (also know as a large) banana berry (yep, a very dark purple) smoothie splattering all over the entry way and staining the carpet. I had lost control of the circumstances, but I had a choice how to respond. I just had to laugh. Really? I have to put into practice so soon what I had just decided. Can't I have a little time to bask in my spiritual maturity (it happens so rarely that I like to enjoy those moments)? Most likely you will face a lot of decisions today as well. Some may be tough decisions that have significant impact, others may not be as big, but either way you get to choose what direction you will go. Enjoy your day of choices!

No comments: