Friday, May 1, 2009

Book recommendation - 5 stars

Since I've been slowed down quite a bit the last couple of days with this cold or whatever I have, I had the chance to do a lot of reading (200 out of 319 pages as of this morning). A couple of days ago Lane sent me a link to an article a about a book called "The Unlikely Disciple" by Kevin Roose. The jest of the book seemed intriguing to me so I went ahead and ordered the book and have been reading it like crazy the last couple of days. Probably one of the most interesting books I have read in awhile. Two thumbs up with a caveat - you might not agree with some of his views, but that is part of the reason I find it so appealing. The writer of the book was a student and journalist at Brown University (a liberal college by his definition) that decides to enroll for a semester at Liberty University (Jerry Falwell's ultra conservative college) to get a behind the scenes look and to write about the other side of the cultural war.

It has been so refreshing to hear someones honest opinion about things most Christians don't even stop to think about anymore. It is just the way we have done things for so long, we don't even question if they make sense or if they are even biblical. Funny enough, I actually relate to his feelings of seeing things from an outside point of view as often as I do the "Liberty Way's" take on things. It is written with humor and honesty. I respect someone who is willing to honestly try to look at things from someone else's point of view. Not just a political statement or an easy cliche, but really investing in seeing what it is about. As a Christian, it frustrates me to no end, when people spout the Bible and say that completely clear things up. Yeah, God has spoken about a lot of things but honestly some of it is hard to hear and not the way I want to do things. When honest questions exist, we can't just sweep them under the rug without trying to understand them.

Bottom line - I think the book provides a lot of things to think about. How do people really see the way I live? Do I come across as a total nut job (they exist in every camp), does what I say and do cause people to pause and question how they live, am I honest about the doubts I have at times and can I accept the doubts others may have? Lots of good thoughts. If you read this blog and like the way I process things, then I think you might want to pick up this book. Disagree with a lot of my thoughts, then this book might be a good book for you too. Probably one of the most openly unbiased looks at being a Christian that I have read. Thanks Lane for the recommendation. I owe you one for this one. (Actually, I think it might balance out the movie recommendations. We will just call it even.)


1 comment:

brianj33 said...

heee heee heee. Kenneth got ya good, Lane