Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Caught a glimpse

I have had several realizations (or also known as "A Ha" moments) this week which I am trying to get my hands around. (WARNING - that is code for I am now going to ramble through them on here as I try to make sense of them). The first was that I tend to back away from the difficult. Not a revolutionary thought I know, but I saw it play out so obviously this week. I was part of a conversation where there was an obvious answer that we all knew was the right answer, but I didn't want to say it. I wanted to protect and say what the other person wanted to hear, but I remained quiet because I couldn't do the difficult and say what needed to be said. I saw someone much bolder and wiser take the lead where I didn't. It was difficult and I didn't take the stand soon enough. How can I lead when I can't take the required action when it needs to be done?

The other is maybe even more difficult for me. I had the chance to catch a glimpse of who someone can be and realized I may be holding them back from that. Not intentionally, and they may even argue with me about the above statement (actually I know they would), but I can't shake the feeling that by my demands on that friendship I am limiting them from some great things. If love is is doing what is best for that person, then that may mean that I need to step back from that relationship. I realized how selfish I am in my relationships. It is about what I can get out of them, when it should be how can I serve them. Serving them may mean doing things that limits my friendship with them so that they can pursue the greater. Weird for me to see that played out in front of me.

So there are two of my favorite topics - relationships and leadership. Now the question is what do I do with it? Can I sacrifice my desires, wants and comfort for what is best for others? Isn't that what Jesus called us to do? Deny ourselves and strive to be more like Him? How do you learn, and more importantly put into practice, not being selfish? I am realizing each day how little I really know. Any words of wisdom or thoughts to add to the mix?

No comments: