Monday, June 15, 2009

What role do you play?

What are you suppose to do? I find myself watching what others are doing and thinking how cool it would be to do those things. I see the way certain people live their lives in amazing ways and I wish that I could be like them. Other people I see and think how glad that I am not them. The thing is that I am not those people. When I compare myself to others, whether for good or bad, I am missing what it is that I am suppose to be doing. I can't accomplish the things I am uniquely qualified for if I spend all of my time comparing myself to others. It is good to learn from others. It is good to see how we can live this life better. BUT, if that is all that I do then I miss out on living the life that I am suppose to be living. How has your personality, your interest, your strengths, your weaknesses, your history uniquely shaped you to accomplish something? We all have roles to play, what is your role?

You matter! You have a purpose. Read the following on Seth Godin's blog today and found it challenging and encouraging. Hope your day is spent on the things that matter.

When you love the work you do and the people you do it with, you matter.
When you are so gracious and generous and aware that you think of other people before yourself, you matter.
When you leave the world a better place than you found it, you matter.
When you continue to raise the bar on what you do and how you do it, you matter.
When you teach and forgive and teach more before you rush to judge and demean, you matter.
When you touch the people in your life through your actions (and your words), you matter.
When kids grow up wanting to be you, you matter.
When you see the world as it is, but insist on making it more like it could be, you matter.
When you inspire a Nobel prize winner or a slum dweller, you matter.
When the room brightens when you walk in, you matter.
And when the legacy you leave behind lasts for hours, days or a lifetime, you matter.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Wow. On a personal note, have been struggling really hard with some issues that I have over the last few weeks and this was very timely.

I feel like God has been really providing for me over the last couple of days in some really timely ways. This message that "I matter" is the exact message that I needed to hear today.

As far as the questions go, I think that I have a sensitvity to people and issues. (can be a curse as well). I think I have a passion and commitment for the truth. I think I have a willingness to go into some strange places to find the truth. I think I have a creative side that has to find expression in something. Some of this is a result of genetics and personality, but some of it comes from difficulties and life experiences.

That's me.