Monday, June 22, 2009

Lessons from a chick flick

Watching "27 Dresses" last night with my wife, there was a scene in the movie that struck me. (Yeah, two chick flicks in one day. Not your typical father's day, but what more would you expect?) There is a point in the movie when the newspaper writer ask her why she is keeping all of these ugly bridesmaid dresses that she will never wear again and are just taking up valuable closet space. For her they were memories that she wanted to keep, but I got thinking about what things from my past am I hanging onto that I will never wear again. What hurts from my past, do I hang onto in my closet? What breaks of trust by people I trusted, do I keep around in my closet? What memories of friendship that are no more, do I keep around in hopes that I will get the chance to wear them again? Why do I hang on to these things that I don't even want anymore? My time is valuable (kind of like closet space in New York apparently) so why do I fill it with things that I don't need anymore? Is holding on to things from the past keeping me from the more important things I could be using my closet for? I need to let go of some of these things. What needs to be cleaned out of your closet?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I have some pretty ugly things in my past that get dredged up once in a while. But my greatest struggles are those that have a serious history, but are still something of an ongoing threat.

When you can't change someone and they're still out there doing the thing that caused so much pain, it becomes so much more difficult to let go and forgive. You find yourself mostly continuing to put up the guard.

It's the reason that I am blown away by scriptures that say things about Gods forgiveness while or in the midts of his own suffering. Like it says that while we were still doing our own thing that He loved us sacrificially, and it talks about his forgiveness of people in the middle of their cruelty and hatred towards him.

How do you allow yourself to be real with the pain, and then not get trapped in it? How do you love someone sacrificially when they don't love you?

I have more questions than answers this time.