Friday, June 5, 2009

Moving day

Today is the day that I switched offices at work. I've only been in my other office for about 10 months so I haven't accumulated that much stuff, but I still managed to find several things that I needed to get rid of during the process. Things I thought were important at some point, but now realize are probably just clutter at best or more likely junk. I think it is probably healthy if sometimes we look through the stuff we accumulate in life as well. Not the material things necessarily (even though that is probably good to occasionally sort through as well), but the hurts we acquire and keep around, the grudges we don't really want to let go of, the emotional baggage we keep moving from place to place with us. I have noticed in my life that when I try to hang on to those things, there really isn't much room for the better things. Holding on to the unimportant tends to limit the good things. What are you holding on to that may be time to throw away? We need to have a moving day every so often to remind us of the junk we are accumulating. Consider today your moving day as well. Enjoy the feeling of a new room with lots of possibilities in front of you without all of that extra clutter.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I have a lifetime of church baggage that I thought once that I had thrown out, but evidently picked back up in recent days. Sometimes God takes me through these crazy hurdles to get me back to this same place where it's time to do it all again.

Brian said something in his adoption story that I have meditating on today. He said that God once whispered to him to find his Peace in Him, rather than the circumstances that he was in during that time (still in in some ways).

I'm finding that my wounds are a lot deeper than I had ever believed, but sometimes I wonder if coming back to this again and again is helping me to dig deeper and deeper. And yet, still there always comes redemption day when it's time again to turn it all in.

Along with you today I am going to try and take out the junk. I would appreciate hot prayers for that today.

Jamie said...

Have no idea what "hot" prayers are. I meant to say "your prayers". I blame these &@@$& little keys on my new I touch. Don't get me wrong, I love my I touch. But I need these keys to be 5 x's bigger.

Kenneth said...

Yeah, I wondered what that meant but figured my normal prayers would be just as effective as the "hot" ones. Hope the junk removal went well yesterday.