Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Called out

Have you ever been called out on something? Had someone tell you it was time to step up and quit being a baby? If you played sports, then you probably have. Had a job for awhile, then maybe it has been pointed out to you some areas that you may need to improve in. As a christian, well... probably not. We seem to be okay with people just coming and listening to the same things over and over without requiring any change in their lives. We justify it by saying that is just the way they are. We don't have it all together ourselves, so how can we challenge someone else to step up? I was reading Hebrews 5 this morning and I saw quite a different example (which by the way Lane nailed last Wednesday night at AZero). Here is how the Message version reads "I have a lot more to say about this, but it is hard to get it across to you since you've picked up this bad habit of not listening. By this time you ought to be teachers yourselves, yet here I find you needing someone to sit down with you and go over the basics of God again, starting from square one..." We nod our head and think "yeah the preacher ought to confront those people". Time to step up and really listen. We need to move beyond the place where we started. Two questions that maybe we need to ask - Am I one of those people who need to be confronted? Is there someone I need to confront? Shouldn't we be about helping people become more mature in their faith and not just repeating the same things over and over? At some point we have to step up to the challenge.

1 comment:

Lane said...

Most of the time I enjoy the questions that you make me ask in your blogs...but when I ask myself both of these questions I start to feel a little...err...really sick to my stomach. Nonetheless, thanks for the challenge.