Wednesday, June 24, 2009

One of those days

Ever have one of those days? You know, the one where the minute you walk in the door it is one crisis after another and everyone needs a piece of your time, usually the same piece of time and their need is the most urgent. Yep, that has been my day - total chaos. In the midst of all of the craziness, I managed to go to lunch with a guy that I have been wanting to get to know better. We had rescheduled multiple times for one reason or another and had finally landed on today to get together. It was a nice break from the insanity at work and very refreshing for me.

Where is this story going (yes, there is a point and it isn't to complain about my day)? As I've had a few minutes to stop and reflect, today is a snapshot of how my life feels a lot of times. Things come at a frantic pace, sometimes without the chance to even catch our breath. We move from one challenge to the next, but in the middle of the chaos of life we get that day, week, or month of smooth sailing. That chance to slow down and enjoy life, but we've got to take that opportunity. Seasons of rest give us the chance to refresh for the next things coming down the road. Good reminder for me today not to waste those opportunities. Are you slowing down enough to enjoy things when you get the chance?

2 comments:

Andrea Ediger said...

Yesterday it felt like 'that' day to me. Only the ones wanting a piece of me were all younger than me (not including C) and live at my house. And they made their urgent needs known very vocally. It left me counting the days on the calendar until school starts. And, no, I don't think I slow down enough to enjoy things many times. I think if I saw rest as recharging for what was coming next instead of recovering from what just happened, I would be better at it. Thanks for that reminder.

Lisa said...

I know I'm really looking forward to my days of slowing down that are coming up. Looking forward to time alone with you and time just to myself also.