Thursday, June 18, 2009

Randomness is good, right?

Here are some random thoughts and observations from my view of the world. Some personal, some that I find amusing and some questions that I wonder about. So basically my blog as usual, only in bullet point format.


  • Check out my brother-in-law's latest blog (see the link on the side for In The Thin Places). He asks a good question for us to reflect on (he usually does) and then check out my sister-in-law's (Andrea) response in the comments. Take a moment to read her comment and let the last paragraph soak in. Amazing picture of God's love for us.

  • One of those "Really?" moments this morning as I pulled into Quiktrip (best convenient store/gas station in the country) to get my 44 ounces of caffeine to get going this morning. Parked in the car next to me was a lady that was rather large eating an ice cream bar for her breakfast. When I came back out she was eating a Snickers bar. I thought my breakfast was lacking in substance. Sounds like the ideal breakfast in my two youngest boys' minds.

  • Been blown away by a friend that has been praying for me recently. One day a week I get an e-mail that says he is praying for me and ask what he can pray for. The next week he follows up on anything that I have mentioned and again asks what he can pray about. It is so refreshing to know that someone is consistently praying for me. Not just a cursory thought when they think of it, but setting aside time consistently to do it.

  • Okay. Don't know what some people are thinking. Driving to work one morning, I saw a pretty sweet Porsche convertible (it was yellow, not my ideal color choice, but still...) in my mirror. When it passed me, I had to do a double take. The vanity plate read - BONER. Yep, don't think that would be my first choice (probably not even in my top 100) of names for a vanity plate. Still trying to figure out if there could be some other meaning.

  • Ever have friends that are genuinely interested in what is going on in your life? The ones who ask specific questions about the things going on with you, they look for you in a crowd so that they can come and talk to you even if it just briefly, that when you are with them you have their full attention. They have the gift of making you feel special because it is obvious they care about you. Others seem to be indifferent. You get a general "How are you doing?". You feel like they are moving on to their next conversation even before you have finished talking. Makes me think, why even bother? We all know each type of person. For me the question is which one am I? Am I truly making the people in my life a priority or just a stopover until the next person comes along?

  • Middle school students and youth ministers have strange senses of humor. Drinking two raw eggs, pulling duct tape off hairy arms, and belly-flopping on a table produce huge amounts of laughter. Another confirmation of why I don't work with that age. Still trying to figure out how I have been good friends with 5 youth ministers.

  • Feeling the pressure of meeting a deadline by August 1st. Not a work deadline, but one I agreed to with my brother-in-law to have 4 chapters written for a book I've talked about writing. Have some ideas, but the discipline to actually put those down has been lacking. Still not sure that a book is my thing, but the clock is ticking.

  • Have enjoyed the chance to get to know some new people recently. Like to hear the things that they are passionate about and learn about who they are. Made me feel old though when I realized one of them of them was born after I graduated from high school. That sucks!

  • Not sure what to do in one of my friendships. Wonder if it was one of those "for a season" type of friendship and if it is now time for me to move on. So I made one of those deals with God that if I heard from that friend today that I would continue to pour my time and energy into the friendship, otherwise, I would take that as a sign to move on. Wondering how this going to go.

  • Final random thought. Saw a car with two "baby on board" decals in their back window. Does this really cause people to drive more carefully around this car? (If so, why don't we all have similar decals?) Also, there was about a 60 year old guy driving.

What are your random thoughts for today? Profound or just interesting to you, all thoughts are welcome here.

1 comment:

jamie said...

randomness is good. Will respond, hit and miss randomly if thats ok.

ditto on Quick trip.

I have to admit that i like the word "boner". I dont use it a lot, but it seems fun to say. Probably not in "mixed company", or publicly displayed on my corvette.

Tough comment on which one am I? in terms of the listener/talker? I used to be an awsome listener? My depression/anxiety stuff really screws me up in the social world somedays, and it often has me turning into a talker. I wonder sometimes if i need to practice "listening", like a spiritual discipline.

Being a YM reminds me of living in the dorms in college. It's nothing but raw ridiculousness sometimes. We once had a cheeze whiz eating contest in the dorm room. One guy sat in a chair, head tilted back, mouth open, and another guy stood above him with a bottle of cheese whiz, and we all took turns seeing how much cheese whiz we could take into our mouths without swallowing. It was amusing until the last guy (who was clearly winning) coughed, and like in slow motion, the cheese went up in a blob, and then came back down splattering his entire face. That was one of my favorite dorm moments.

I think you would make a good writer. The daily blog here, is kind of ongoing training for something like that. From reading this, I can see it in you. I will pray that you launch in. Would love to hear/see your stuff sometime. What is your topic?

Most of the women I work with (nursing) were born when I graduated. Thats kind of a bummer. Its also a bummer when your watching professional athletes who are retired (like Troy Aikman), and realize that their younger than you.

Thats my randomness for the day.