Thursday, June 4, 2009

What matters in community?

What matters most to you in community? I talk a lot about community on here, but am curious what you think is the key to having a community that matters. Can you boil it down to 2 or 3 things that are essential for community to happen for you? When you look at those closest to you that you go through life with, what characteristics define the core of those relationships? Is it authenticity? Is it encouragement? Is it time spent together? What is it that makes those people the ones you turn to and trust above the other people that you cross paths with? Let me hear what matters to you.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

If I had to pin down a few things, I would say that the root of healthy community is love, and by that I mean the God type of sacrificial Love, and the consistant refocussing of myself outwards to the needs of others. When everyone's doing that, it's like heaven on earth.

I think that being able to give and receive grace is essential.

I think being able to be real is important. Intimacy only happens when people uncover themselves, and then tied all up in that is the safety to trust each other.

It's hard for me to dissect humility out of all of that because,humility is kind of the thread that ties all of that together.

There's more I'm sure. Practical things like shareing stuff and being able to laugh and cry together matters I think.

Ultimately I think a commitment to common goals is a deal maker (or potential breaker). In the spiritual world I think of the common pursuit of God, and holiness and stuff like that. Those are my thoughts.

brian said...

I agree with Jamie's list & would also add the following:
It's essential for me to truly be able to be myself to have the deepest level of community with people. It's me feeling comfortable with being honest & authentic.