Thursday, June 25, 2009

What are you willing to sacrifice?

Sacrifice is a word we don't use much. Kind of goes against the grain of "you can have it all". To me sacrifice means to willingly give up something that I value for someone else. For some people that may be money. Can I give up my dream house, my plans to have a comfortable retirement, my vacation, my Starbucks coffee so that I can give that money somewhere else. For others it may be time. Will I give up my hobby, the sport I really enjoy playing, hanging out with friends so that I can use that times somewhere else? For me it is my preferences that are tough to sacrifice. I want things the way I like them. A friendship to be on my terms, a schedule that works conveniently for me, a church service that appeals to my style. See the tough part of sacrifice is that it requires us to step outside of what we want. Giving up something that doesn't matter to you isn't really a sacrifice. It may still be good to give it, but it isn't a sacrifice. Really sacrifice boils down to being selfless. Can we lay down what we want for someone else? Can I place someone else's desires ahead of my own? The sacrifice doesn't depend on the other person's needs or wants, it is about whether I choose to be selfless or selfish and really isn't that what it all comes down to anyways.

For me, it means today that I choose to give up my preferences in some relationships. Will it be tough? Yeah, hence the name sacrifice, but it is still comes down to a choice of whether I want it my way or if I am willing to give what someone else wants. What are you willing to sacrifice?

1 comment:

jamie said...

I missed this yesterday, but it was more timely for me today anyway. I need to give my wife time to get away. I find that I consistently need family time as a rest, but she consistently needs more of her own personal time. She doesn't view family the way that I view family. To her, family looks like work. To me it looks like rest.

We both have a church commitment tonight, and we both return to work tomorrow. And so the time is ticking on the time we both have left of our week. I would love to finish my emails, make any friendship phone calls that i need to make, go outside and run (health commitment), and maybe write a little before dinner and church.

I know she wants to get out of the house, go to the store, etc.

This blog has again, helped me to focus on the right thing. Thanks again for this.