Monday, July 20, 2009

Who is surrounding you?

What is that question that makes you cringe? What is the topic that when it is preached about on Sunday that you try your hardest to ignore because you know you need to hear it? Maybe it is just me that has those areas that I know I need to address but don't want to. I pretend they aren't there, try to convince myself that it isn't as bad as it is by comparing it to someone else's sin, looking for the loophole that let's me keep on doing it the way I am... looking for the person who will tell me what I want to hear, not what I need to hear.

Probably one of my best traits is that I have good discernment in the people I surround myself with. I have several people who tell me what I need to hear because they love me enough to do that. The ones who tell you what you want to hear are a dime a dozen. Take the time to find the rare ones... the ones who will do the hard work with you. So who is pouring into you? Are they asking you the hard questions? No one challenging you? Maybe it is time to find someone who will.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Welcome back Kenneth. Hope you had a good vacation.

It's very difficult to find those people. They need to be a balance between people who can be honest and real and also people that you respect and trust.

Sometimes I find people who are willing to tell me what's wrong with me, and when it's all done (after honest searching etc) I come away feeling like they have me all wrong.... Or that maybe they're trying to lead me into (or away from) where I think Jesus is leading me.

And then there are those that you really respect and feel like you know, people you're on the same page with, but they don't want to hurt your feelings.

I have to admit that I really desire those relationships. The closest I have ever come was life at the Christian college I went to, or my celebrate Recovery friendships.

Good topic to think about and work through. Thanks for that.