Thursday, July 30, 2009

Shift in attitude

Reality check - you probably have it better than you than you think. I was in one of those moods were I was really frustrated with certain people in my life. Ready to say "Screw it, I'm tired of caring". That was my mindset (Aren't you glad you weren't hanging out with me last night?) when I got together with a couple of guys that I meet with. As I listened to them talk, my mindset changed from "Man, life sucks!" to "Man, I have so much to be thankful for!". I listened to them talk about their families (dysfunctional is probably an understatement). I listened as they talked about how month to month they don't know if they will have electricity in their homes. I listened as they talked about trying to figure life out on their own with little support from those that should be their biggest supporters. I listened as they talked about scrapping by. And I listened as they talked about the incredible hunger they have for God in their lives. That don't have it all figured out, but they get the big picture (at least some of the time). They talked about how thankful they are for their friends who encourage them (strange as some of that encouragement looks) and how amazing God is. They might not have much from someone looking at their lives from the outside, but their heart is thankful for the important things. Does it change that people frustrate me? No, but it did change my attitude to one that looks for the things that I can be thankful for instead of the things that I think I might be missing. Sometimes changing our perspective can make a huge difference in how we see our lives. What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

jamie said...

I am thankful for a job that pays my bills and provides opportunities to have more than i need, and to give in ways that hopefully make a difference.

I am thankful for people who love me, kids I didn't expect to have in life, friends who challenge me and surround me and check on me and pray for me. I am thankful for a wife who has to deal with my life worth of stuff.

I am thankful to God who loves me, and has always been near me even when I only have that by faith. I am thankful for the ways that he includes in me in his overall plan. I am thankful for the patience and Grace that he shows me as I continue to work it all out.

Thank you for this exercise today. you're right that changing perspectives helps.

Lisa said...

I am thankful for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!