Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Removing the problem

How do you switch the focus from yourself to others? How do you remove your own selfishness and become selfless? I read how Jesus lived and his non-stop love for others and feel I fall so short of that. That is what I feel we are called to be but at the same time the biggest obstacle in getting there is me. I want what benefits me more than caring about how to serve others. Sometimes I get it right, but more often than not it still comes back to my selfish desires. How do you remove yourself from the equation and bring the spotlight onto the needs of others? I desire to be selfless, I just suck at doing it. When do you feel you are best at being selfless?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I pray a lot. Email/call people about needs, and generally try to pop into their world for their sake... not mine. Sometimes i try to do things with my family... kids that they have been begging me to do, but "I haven't had time".

It depends on where I am in my writing, on if it helps. Sometimes the writing I do really helps because it continues my progress towards the end result which is God, life, truth, community etc.

But sometimes I do a lot of the working through of feelings in my writing that kind of puts me back underwater so to speak.... for a time at least.