Monday, July 20, 2009

A look back and moving forward

Feels strange to be writing a post here after taking a break last week while we were on vacation. That is two out of the last three weeks that I haven't blogged or even been on the computer. A huge break considering that since I started blogging on here about 11 months ago that I have posted over 230 entries. I recently looked back at some of those older posts and love seeing the journey that I have been on over the last year. Some good memories, some rough times, several books read, and lots of life. It is kind of like when I was swimming in the ocean last week. I would look up and wonder how I had gotten so far down the beach from where I started. It was a gradual move, but lots of fun in the process. It is good to sometimes stop and see where you have been on your journey so far. Those look backs at where you have been in order to prepare you for where you are heading.

This morning I took another step in that journey. One of those tougher steps. I asked God to examine my heart and show me where I need to make changes and where I have sin in my life. Show me through what I read, the people in my life, the circumstances that I encounter, whatever means work best. It is scary to ask for that and to open yourself up to be put under the spotlight. I know that God knows our hearts anyway, but to ask Him to reveal those things means I can't pretend they don't exist. My selfishness... laid out on the table. My motives... examined for the true purpose of them. If we are going to pursue God, then it means we do it intentionally. Chasing after something doesn't happen by chance. It becomes our focus. Our only focus. Discipline required and no excuses accepted. Sound difficult? Yeah, it is. That is why it is called the narrow road. Wanting a nice leisurely stroll in your faith? Somehow I don't think that is the same thing as pursuing God with all of your heart, mind and strength.

Vacation was good. Now it is time to jump back in with both feet and start chasing with all I've got. Wonder what the next year is going to look like?

No comments: