Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What do you need to be doing?

I have a tendency to be reflective at times. A little more quiet than usual as I process and observe the things going on around me. A lot of my friends are more the wide open, full throttle type of people. Running full speed and doing lots of things. That makes for a good combination in my opinion. Sometimes we need to slow down and grasp what is going on. Others times we need to be moving fast as we have limited time to accomplish big things. There is a balance. One I want to try to accomplish in my life. I remember an idea from my brother-in-law's blog awhile back that talks about resting from our work and working from our rest. Sometimes we need to rest and recharge. Other times we need to work at a frantic pace. Both are important. Both will happen. Where are you in the cycle? Are you running when you need to rest? Are you still in down mode when it is time for you to be doing something? Don't know where you fit. Wonder how you can possibly rest when you have so much to do. Don't know what you should be doing. Ask someone who knows you well. What we often can't see in ourselves is apparent to those closest to us. Part of community is listening to those doing life with us, another part is giving input to those in this with us. So what do you need to do - rest or work?

1 comment:

jamie said...

Im not sure what I need to be doing. I am convicted more and more to continue writing. But I am also trying to make progress on getting in the game so to speak. I am making contact with those who God seems to have given me in terms of community/relationship.

I am having to let some things come and go, and it is hard letting things go, because sometimes that feels like rejection to me.

I don't rest well. I spend a lot of time doing things, work, email contact, writing, watching kids, cooking dinner, bible study (including research type stuff), prayer. I spent the other night with my kids sitting out in the backyard watching the neighbors fire works and I rested with them and just soaked in the moment. I don't do that much. I think I border on burn out sometimes.