Thursday, July 9, 2009

Standing and waiting to jump

Stepping out into the unknown can be scary. There are so many things that can go wrong. There are so many things that are out of your control. Hard to have a plan B if it doesn't work out because you really don't know what you are getting into. I was thinking about when Jesus asked his disciples to follow him. He didn't give them a detailed agenda of what to expect, all of the possible scenarios they may face, a checklist of things to do, and there wasn't a plan B that I am aware of. He simply asked them to follow him. Pretty much the same thing he asks of us. Are you willing to trust at that level and just step out there? Been wrestling with this question - Is it really faith if you have to have all of the details planned out? Sometimes we don't move because we are waiting for more details. We need to control the situation better. We want to make sure our ducks are all in row before we jump in. Is that faith? To me that takes most, if not all, of the trust out of the equation. I have committed to doing some things that I have no idea how they are going to turn out. I can tell you that with no idea of how they are going to turn out that I am learning to trust a lot more. Scary? You bet, but also kind of exciting to know that I am moving forward and waiting to see what God has planned. Where do you need to just follow? Come on and jump in. It might be a wild ride, but isn't life suppose to be that way?

2 comments:

Jamie said...

The faith walk is a freaky journey.

I think the perfect example of what it looks like in my faith walk world is the exodus. There are times when I feel the freedom and Im worshipping with my whole life, and then there are sometimes I feel alone and the need to control it all sneaks back in on me.

And I go back and forth between these two things constantly.

When Im at my best, Im Joshua running with the minority into the land of giants. When I am at my worst, Im accusing Moses of leading us out here to die.

How can I shut down the one and live in the other one? Any thoughts...

Kenneth said...

No clue, as I feel I live in the tension between both of those places. Sometimes I am ready to face the giants and other times I ready to give up and head back to the familiarity of slavery. Best I've found is surrounding myself with more Joshua type people and less of the whiners.