Friday, May 29, 2009

Freeze-frame moment

Last night was one of those snapshot moments in time. No huge event, not particularly a lot of people around, nothing special to most of the people outside Starbucks listening to the live music, but for me it was one of those moments that capture what I am passionate about. I was there talking with one of my close friends about our lives. The conversation was easy and just seemed to flow as we talked about random funny things that have happened in our lives recently, about the incredible way that God continues to surprise us, the ways we have changed and grown over the last several years, about our families and about the people in our lives. We talked some about community (and how that I apparently use that word a lot on here) and that is what the snapshot moment captured in my mind. This is part of what community means to me and what I strongly desire. Simply doing life together - being real, through the ordinary things of life, through the tough crap, during the fun moments, all while trying (sometimes better than others) to put Jesus in the center of it all. Others might have seen just a couple of guys talking outside of Starbucks, but for me it was a lot more than that.

This morning while I was heading into work (After stopping by Jamba Juice to the start the morning off right and where I also got an extra $10 put on my gift card. It pays to stop in there regularly and now they usually don't even have to ask my name for the order either. Yeah, I stop there that frequently.) I heard the song "If Today Was Your Last Day" by Nickelback and it caught my attention. One of the lines says "each day is a gift and not a given right", another one says "what's worth the price is always worth the fight", another line says "every second counts cause there's no second try so live it like you're never living twice" and finally the chorus has these lines "could your say goodbye to yesterday" and "would you live each moment like your last". Dang! Isn't that how we should be living? Treating each moment as something special. Instead we fly through those moments and opportunities thinking we will maybe slow down for them tomorrow or when we have the time. Spoiler alert - we never have more time nor are we guaranteed that we will have the chance for that moment again. What would your day look like if you did treat it like it was your last day? Today seems like as good as time as any other to adjust our mindset and start enjoying the gift we have today. Enjoy the rest of your day!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks for that nickleback moment. I'm having a rough day here at work. So the reminder Is helpful. Not only that but that is actually my snapshot moment believe it or not. I downloaded the song the other day and my oldest son asked me what it was about. And so my snapshot moment is me talking to my son about why it's important to really live your life. Great memory. Thank you for that.

kellimoss said...

also been thinking about the last day thing. been to two funerals in two days that have had my mind on these heavy thoughts...

Kenton McCracken said...

I too have been pondering the fragility of this life - I went to the funeral of a co-worker last week. She left this world after a long illness, but even still, when I walked into her office today I thought "she's never coming back". Pretty heavy. I'm comforted that she was a believer, but she left behind a devastated family. Kenneth, thanks for the further reminder that I should NEVER have a forward thinking mindset. I need to be present, all the time. Also, thanks for reminding us that we can find truth in things that aren't labeled "Christian", i.e. Nickelback. Truth can be found all over the place - all truth is of God.