Monday, May 18, 2009

Humility in leadership

Been thinking a lot about leadership recently. I feel I live in two different worlds when it comes to leadership. Business has one model and the church has another. Most of the time they are operating from different points of view. From a biblical perspective, a leader is called to be a servant. Leaders were often compared to shepherds in the way they were concerned with their flock. Looking out for the interest of others first. Humility probably best describes to me what a leader in the church should demonstrate. Now compared to the business world these qualities aren't what would probably describe most leaders. The business world has a different purpose so I don't think it is fair to expect the same descriptions all of the time. It is hard for me to switch gears between these two worlds sometimes. What works in business isn't necessarily the right method for leadership in the church. Here are a couple of thoughts that I am trying to sort out in the context of being a leader within the church.

Like I said I see part of humility as looking out for the interest of others. So what happens when the people I lead have different interest than mine? Do I try to lead them to match my interest or do I adjust to look out for their interest first? A tough tension to manage sometimes. On Tony Morgan's blog he listed a couple of questions related to leadership that I was wondering how others would answer about me (this would be the interactive part of the blog).
  • When people consider who I am as a leader, do they think "servant" first? (If not, what word do you think of first? It is okay to have a different answer. I am just trying to see it from a different perspective.)
  • Am I pursuing my ambitions, or do I consider the interests of others? (Remember honesty is always the best policy. If it points out weaknesses in me that is good because if I don't know about them then I can't change them.)

Are you a servant-leader? (Reality is that we are all leading in some way.)

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I like your thoughts about leadership. We are all leading in some way. I like that. I can't answer your questions yet because I'm not sure I know you well enough, but my limited experience with you suggests humility. You don't seem to be a top down kind of guy. I think your ministry work/friendships suggest humility/servant leadership as well. Plus you're ok with questions and tension. That kind of living really demands humility.

Speaking of tension I definatly think there is a tension in leadership or maybe it's like a filter so that even direction gets filtered through servanthood. The word Discipleship keeps coming back to me. Those are thoughts for now.