Thursday, May 7, 2009

How to say "no"

Do you say "no" very well? That isn't something that comes easy for me. I don't want to let anyone down so at times I have committed to things that may have been best if I said no to. Fitting in one more evening of doing something or getting together with someone when the better idea might have been for me to have some down time. What filter do you use to determine if you should say no to an opportunity or to something someone else feels you would be good at? I am trying to listen better to those around me. Those who question whether I have too much on plate or if my skill set is really suited for those opportunities. Does anyone else have trouble saying "no"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have traditionally had a really hard time saying no. Children of divorce are pretty hard core people pleasers. I am in the process of learning to set boundaries, but it is still a pretty big struggle for me at times. I think the most difficult thing for me is continuing on in love without self guilt after I have set my boundaries. Im always worried about what people think about me.

jamie

brianj33 said...

Wanna play tennis at midnight? ha ha.
Seriously, sometimes I don't ask people to do something because I don't think they have the time. But that seems to doubt that they have the ability to say no. I'm guessing that you'd rather get asked, even if you are busy. Is that right?