Sunday, May 17, 2009

Extreme yard makeover

16 people, 2 hours, 1 transformed yard. This morning was one of those times when I feel that we got it right. The point was to love in a practical way. About a month ago our church had a day of service where we went and cleaned some gutters, trimmed some bushes, raked some leaves, etc. for the people in a mile radius of our building. Part of our class ended up at the house of on older lady whose yard was completely overgrown and out of control. A whole, full-sized industry truck was filled to the brim and that was just from the front yard. Since that Sunday, one of the ladies in our class has continued to talk with her and today was the day that we arranged to go back and start on her backyard. I loved seeing the hearts of those in our class serving someone that most of them have never meet. Everyone pitching in and working to make a noticeable difference. Another trailer full and a backyard that actually let the sunlight in now. Extreme yard makeover. I often hear Christians painted in a negative light as being hypocrites and not very loving. Today in this lady's backyard, out of sight from most people, I saw what Christians look like when we get it right. Loving someone because we have received love and can't help but share that. No preaching, no trying to convince you of a political stance, no ulterior motive, only to help in a practical way. This is what community looks like. We as Christians don't always get it right, but sometimes we do reflect Jesus. And when we do, it can look amazing. Been going to Sunday school classes for a long time and this is the first one that I would feel comfortable for my non-Christians friends to just show up at. If I wasn't there, they would still be loved and hopefully catch a glimpse of what Christ looks like. Seeing a group, messed up as we are, trying to follow Christ is something incredible. I think we are a lot like the yard that we cleaned up today. We all have been messy and not the ideal picture, but when Christ works in us, we can look radically different at the end of the day. Thanks to our class for being an example of Jesus to me today. You are amazing.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I like the messy yard image. Cleaning it up out there is the same as cleaning it up in here. When love happens so does the life change. I mean my lif changes. And when we do it as a community I think it changes us too. That is very encouraging. If it's the same house I am thinking of, I worked primarly in the backyard last time. It would be cool to see a picture of what that yard looks like when it's done.

Mitch said...

Way to go! Way to get it right, as a group. Very encouraging post, im looking forward to a project like this I can do with some friends.