Friday, May 1, 2009

Catching up

Had the chance to catch up with a good friend of mine recently that I haven't had the opportunity to talk with in person in the last two years. Jeff and his family have been in Thailand for the last couple of years which makes it a little difficult to run out and spend some time talking at Starbucks, but we got the chance to do that recently as they are back in the states right now. It was very refreshing for me and something I needed. See, of all of my close friends, Jeff is probably the most like me personality wise. It is so easy to understand where he is heading with a story and pick up where our last conversation ended. Also getting to hear his take on things and talk about things going on in our lives motivates me. Jeff is probably often tagged as quiet (Wrong assumption. He may not be the one who likes being in the spotlight, but quiet or reserved really don't describe him. Funny how both of us get that label occasionally and how wrong it really is.), but I got the chance to hang out and talk for about 4 hours the other night. One of the things that kept running through my mind as Jeff was updating me on how things are changing for them and the direction they are headed was how it all tied so nicely into what we had discussed Wednesday night with the high school students. Being open to what God has planned for us and that sometimes He reveals things to us in small steps (usually so the big picture doesn't overwhelm us). Looking at the way Jeff's life and the plans that they have made as a family have come together over the last couple of years and even more so over the last couple of months is awesome to see. It was a chance for me to step back and see the big picture of how God can sometimes work. Being able to bounce ideas and thoughts off of him as we discussed our lives is something I value more than about anything else in my friendships. Knowing there are several people in my life who know me well (and in spite of that continue to hang out with me) and definitely would go the distance and then some for me is encouraging. Don't know how people do it without those type of friends in their lives. Good night to realize how amazing God is.

No comments: