Monday, November 3, 2008

What does your soul long for?

Do you ever stop and wonder what it is your soul really longs for? Things seem to be running by so fast these days that it is rare that we stop and listen... really listen. Since I've been living the nomad life the last couple of weeks (Can't imagine wandering in the desert for 40 years!), I've had lots of time to just be quiet. It is kind of unsettling at first to have so much quiet time especially when I am use to lots of noise around our house. During that time of slowing down, I've begun to sift through the things that my soul really longs for and trying to compare it to things that God's heart longs for. Unfortunately they aren't always the same, but I know that he isn't finished with me yet. The way he is refining those things is through the circumstances I encounter and through the people who are shaping me. Talking to a friend last night and he mentioned the scripture that talks about how iron sharpens iron. I definitely understand and appreciate that so much. The friends who have helped shape the rough spots of my life and help my come closer to having the heart of Jesus. What dreams has God placed on your heart? What place in your soul is waiting to be filled? How do we do this thing that we have been called to live out? It is a process that takes place day by day through our everyday routine. Take the time to stop and listen. Take the time to ask others. Never stop being a learner.

2 comments:

Amy Storms said...

Hi, Kenneth-
Thanks for the comment. Glad to hear you're liking the book, too. You're right--it's not a list of answers. But I suppose God doesn't give us that, either, even though I wish He would! :) But then it wouldn't be faith...faith and doubt...I think I just talked in a huge circle. :) Anyway, thanks for the comment. Hope you guys are doing well.

Amy

PS Let me know if you can think of any other books. I'm doing Anne Rice's memoir and Rob Bell's newest next.

Tea with Tiffany said...

I wrote a similar post last week about our heartbeat. In the quiet, we can hear clearly.