Monday, November 10, 2008

An amazing letter

I love to get mail especially notes or letters. (Bills and junk mail really just don't do much for me.) I am keeper of those notes. I have notes from when Lisa and I were dating (we are talking notes from 18 or 19 years ago - classics), notes written to us from the youth when we were in New Orleans for an extended stay (some from a student who is now one of our closest friends almost 15 years later), notes of encouragement from friends, notes saying this is what you have meant in my life, basically all kinds of notes that mean something to me (I still love getting these types of letters in case you feel the desire to write one). I will occasionally read some of these notes when I get in a mood to reorganize stuff and be amazed at the people who I have been fortunate enough to have invest in my life. The funny thing is there is one letter that I tend to take for granted. I was talking to a friend last night (one of those awesome rambling and random conversations that cover things happening in our lives) when he quoted a couple of verses from James (can't remember the exact quote this morning, lack of sleep will do that to you) that really made me stop and think about the awesome letter (the Bible) God has written to me telling me why he loves me and what he sees in me. It is one of his ways of telling me where he sees me fitting in His story. The role I get to play. It is an incredible story and letter that each time I go back to it, it shows me something new and different (not that I always understand it or follow it like I should, but that is part of the ongoing relationship with Him). The cool thing is, like my friend did last night, we can share this letter with others because it is written to them as well. Share the story that is your life with others (that is what community is anyway). Take a moment out of your busy day and write a note letting someone know how much you appreciate them or what they mean in your life. Let's add to someone else's collection of meaningful letters.

No comments: