Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I am a good person...really?

I find it interesting that a lot of times we try to sugar coat the truth and make us sound better than we really are. We say things like - I am really doing well except for this one area. Or - I am good person most of the time I just occassionally slip up. Really? What is our measuring stick? Other people? I guess in that sliding scale we may be doing okay. Is our measurement in the "big" things? No murder, no affair, haven't been drunk - check, so I must be doing well. Been reading through Jeremiah recently with a friend and have noticed that God doesn't sugar coat calling out His people. He calls them on the carpet and says quit "whoring" yourself with other gods. Is our focus on pleasing ourselves most of the time? Then we probably aren't doing as well as we thought. Is our time and resources spent only on making us happy? Then we probably aren't as healthy as we think. Do we lie (no distinction between a little white lie and a big whopper), do we pursue other relationships more than we pursue God, do we justify our actions (if we have to justify it we are probably missing the point), do we excuse the little sins (don't think God sees a difference between them even though we want to use our sliding scales)? Not trying to be negative here but I think we need to stop playing the church game of "I'm doing okay". Let's get real with one another. We all have areas that need drastic improvement, so what are we going to doing about it? Talk about it - okay for a starting point, but don't let it end there. Pursue the radical changes that you know God is calling you to make. Usually that means finding someone, being transparent with them and then some accountability. (By ourselves, we can justify about any action we take so I think we need someone else to be invested in us as well) We aren't meant to do life by ourselves. We are community called to pursue God. Let's start doing that. Radical? May seem that way, but it is so worth it! It may be tough and suck at times (believe me it will be at some points), but I don't want God to call me a whore while I am pretending that I am doing just fine. Check how that worked out for the Israelites when you get the chance.

No comments: