Monday, November 3, 2008

Lost art of time

Something I've noticed recently is that people don't have the time for conversation and just to hang out and enjoy each other's company. We always seem to be on an overbooked schedule. Watching our watches, checking our text messages, trying to get to our next meeting on our schedule but not really slowing down enough to be in the place where we are at currently. One of the things I really enjoyed about getting to know my friend from Vegas was that we didn't have to hurry our conversation. We were able to hang out for 6 or 7 hours and talk. Not rushed, not an hour slot to try to fit in a conversation, but just time to enjoy hanging out and do things together. We were away from our calendars and our normal routines. For me relationships are a big part of my life, but it is hard to develop those when you are trying to fit it in for an hour on someones calendar. I know that sometimes that is the just a season of life, but it seems to me that is more a lifestyle than just a season for most people. We've lost the art of being together. Kind of reflects the way that society as whole is dysfunctional in its' relationships. Relationships don't happen in the forced confines of an hour, but as you spend time around each other doing life. My wife asked me the other day what I wanted for my birthday and it got me thinking that the thing I most want is time. I don't want another new gadget or something that a year from now will be out of style, but time spent with good friends is what I really enjoy. It seems to have become one of those MasterCard priceless items. The funny thing to me is that time should be one of the easiest things to give, but for most people today it is one of the hardest things to come by. Why are we running so fast and running by those people in our lives? Time to slow down and invest in something that matters - other people. Hope you have an incredible, relaxing day spent with the important people in your life. Make the time, it is so worth it!

No comments: