Monday, November 3, 2008

Thoughts that capture where I am at these days

Ran across the following quotes on one of the blogs I try to occassionally read:
  • We've got to get to the place where we believe Jesus is absolutely right about absolutely everything.
  • If you're not ticking off religious people you're not following Christ. Can't have a reformation without offending a few Pharisees along the way!
  • 50% of our church budgets ought to go to the "the least of these" Our we putting our money where our mouth is?
  • Truth that only makes it into our head is informational. But truth that penetrates the heart is transformational. Reformation isn't the byproduct of good ideas. It's the byproduct of deeply held convictions.
  • Christianity has become a way of thought instead of a way of life. We've created a culture of where we know more and do less all the while thinking we're growing spiritually.
  • If you don't change you become part of the problem.

I have been thinking recently a lot about how we do things as a church (locally, not as in the big picture this time) and several of the above sum up my thoughts of what we need to do or change pretty well. I don't ever want to settle for the status quo, but also don't just want change for change sake. Radical and different - I am more and more okay with those being used to describe me. Actually, I hope those are the kinds of words that people use to describe my faith. I don't want to run over people with new changes, but I also don't want to wait for a long time for everyone to get on board either. I don't want to be part of the problem, but I do need to become part of the solution. Ready for an adventure? I am feeling some change is coming our way if the radicals of the church start living it out. Are you a radical?

1 comment:

Chris Ediger said...

Bring it on! I'm right there with you! Would love to chat & hear the things that are rolling around in your head these days.