Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts from 35,000 feet

Over the last several weeks of flying to various places and living out of hotels, I have written about 6 pages of notes about ideas and questions I have. A page about a dream to make a difference that I haven't had the chance to share with my fellow dreamers yet. Another page about questions related to the idea of "white space" sessions on leadership. A page of notes from the book "Faith & Doubt" and ideas from it that made me think. Another page of random things I learned about myself and questions I have about why I am like I am. So on and so on. Lots of ideas and questions that I am ready to move on. I am ready to jump or at least throw the various ideas on the table and discuss them with others. Here are some of the random thoughts from my last page of notes from 35,000 feet in the air:


  • We all have unique stories of how we got to this point in life and can learn a lot from other people's stories

  • I am drawn to transparent people and feel the freedom to be more of myself around them

  • I like to wrestle in those areas of doubt and the unknown, not theoretically but in how they impact lives

  • I have an artistic bent and enjoy the creative side more than I ever realized

  • Realization that wishful thinking doesn't change my reality

  • Like non-traditional friendships and don't really care what normal looks like

  • Don't want to waste my energy trying to make certain friendships work and am okay with some of those shifting to a different type of friendship (see friends in basically three circles - close friends who I share life with on the deepest levels, good friends who we have some areas or interest in common and buddies who I like to hang out with and have fun with but don't really know my thoughts and passions)

  • Brought to my attention again that God moves in some really strange ways and I think he does that intentionally

  • It is more convenient to lie than tell the truth a lot of times, but why?

  • Good listeners brighten my day and encourage me

  • Why are some people in leadership positions when they don't make very good leadership decisions?

This is how my mind usually works. Which may explain why I have heard from 5 different people in the last couple of weeks that I am hard to read. Translation - what the heck are you thinking because we don't understand you and you don't talk very much. The last part makes me laugh because when I get talking about something I am passionate about I don't usually shut up. Ask my wife, as I tend to start talking to sort things out and that usually takes a couple of hours. (Usually late at night when others are ready to start winding down.) Life is good, but I am ready to start doing somethings instead of just thinking about things.

No comments: