Monday, November 17, 2008

Moving from talking to jumping

Yesterday was one of those "Ah ha" type days for me. 4 different ideas I have been thinking and talking about for awhile moved to taking a leap. Why taking a leap? Because even though I had thought a lot about these things I still don't have them all figured out. That is the leap part. Jumping into the unknown and taking action. Often I feel we get stuck in the talking part. We talk about what we are going to do in the future when things line up right, we have the right resources, when we have the time, when whatever...for me that never happens. The perfect time usually doesn't exist, so we end up just talking and never putting feet to our ideas. That wears me out when people talk about things but don't follow through. I think that is why sometimes we can be seen as hypocritical by others. We talk a lot, but really don't do much. The things I did aren't huge or radical (maybe different as I tend to approach things from a different viewpoint than a lot of people), but they were steps in the right direction for me. It was being willing to initiate some change to hopefully help create some momentum, to ask questions and hopefully start some discussions that are long overdue, to jump into a new friendship, and to step back from some others. Not huge things in themselves, but movement instead of just more talk. Talking and thinking are big parts of the process, but don't let it end there. Where do you need to take a jump? What do you need to risk without knowing how it will turn out?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

word. I loved yesterday. fruitful to say the least. There were times where I was wanting us to stop making mention of the current improbability of the said dreams, but still, what a huge step. Thanks for listening to the Holy Spirit brother. That "Brightened my day". <- (two birds with one stone...boo ya.)

JamieT said...

something I was doing earlier today reminded me that this was out here. Thanks for keeping this going. I will have to be in and out as necessary.

I too thought the sunday conversation was fruitful. I think it is bringing a much needed energy back to the table. Thank you for doing this. It was an encouragement to me as well.

As far as the blog, I am generally a man of extremes. I really struggle between jumping all in.... or all out. When I am all in, I am all in. .. and all of a sudden I am doing everything... perhaps things I havent even been called to. Then when I am out... I am struggling to stay in at all. This is my world.

It is not healthy, but I think God works through, around, with, in... (however you perceive it) my unhealthiness. And so i go through these seasons of clarification. I am in one of those right now. But I trust that God is working.... none the less. It is a process learning how and when to jump. But I agree. Sometimes it is better to jump even if you're not sure.

That is why we call it faith. reasonable or not? there is this aspect existentially that we cannot escape. It may never feel safe.... but sometimes you jump anyway.

Jamie