Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sharing your life...sort of

Had an interesting conversation with a friend mine recently about his view on relationships. He is in a very public position as a pastor so he as all sorts of people who think they know him. Because of this he has been come even more guarded in who he develops friendships with. He stated that he really doesn't have the desire or need for any new people to be close to him. He shares things happening in his life in his messages and therefore people think they know him well so he has become skeptical of people's motives, power trips, etc. and doesn't really let many people in. I can't relate to this at all. I love getting to know people on that deeper level. Knowing what makes up their story and has shaped who they are today. Sharing at that level is kind of the safe way in my opinion. This last weekend, I was in a setting with about 25 people. We were discussing things and I decided to share some of where I am at regarding leadership. The thing is that I realized that though I was vulnerable in why I question my leadership role, etc. I wasn't really risking much in sharing. I controlled the environment. I could leave out pieces of the puzzle. If it had been a one on one situation or smaller setting, questions probing what I meant could have been asked. Don't read this wrong, I think there is value in sharing in the larger settings, but if that is the only place you share part of your heart, I think you are missing out. Contrast that situation with later that night I was talking with a close friend who was able to ask the deeper questions about where I am at in life right now and challenge me. I think we need some of both. Even this blog only reveals part of who I am. I share a lot of my thoughts here, but those 4 or 5 people who I do life with see even more of me (whether that is good or bad you would have to ask them). Find those people who make up your community and jump into life together. Don't settle for the lite side of doing life together. Risk being vulnerable and transparent and really share your life with some other people. I don't think you will regret it.

1 comment:

Tea with Tiffany said...

I'm there risking it all on my blog. A desperate plea for change. Real heart change.