Monday, November 10, 2008

Creativity source for me

Apparently it is going to be one those multiple post days for my blogging. I woke up this morning with a bunch of different thoughts and creative ideas (at least creative for me). Matter of fact, I thought of several on my work today. I imagine it was rather entertaining for other people if they saw me as I didn't have any paper in the car so as I came to a stoplight I would scribble my random ideas wherever I could find open space on the newspaper. This while at the same time trying to send a few text messages to people on ideas or questions so that I wouldn't forget them as well. I have determined that for me those creative ideas come mostly after I have had the opportunity to spend quality time with people in my community. Those extended, uninterrupted times of talking and sharing life. I really don't want to be just another slot in someone's schedule. I know that isn't how people usually intend it, but that is how I feel. It is a rushed and somewhat disjointed conversation. I never fully engage when I am on the clock. Not sure how that works in the day to day for others as we live in the world of an hour or less in most things we do. Our schedules are so packed (mine included) that we leave little margin for anything else in our lives. For me that means I may have to sacrifice some things (probably sleep either in the morning or late at night) to have that quality time when others are available if possible. I know that I am wired way differently than most people. I don't want to be one more thing that somebody has to fit into their overbooked schedule or rush through to mark off the calendar. I want to savor and engage in the conversations that I am in. I want to fully be there and not wondering how I can get to the next thing on my schedule. I want to make the people in my life my priority and not the checklist of things I need to get done.

No comments: