Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ideas for a book

Since I didn't have much else to do on the plane today (besides watch the cute old couple next to me who I think it must have been their first time to fly), I started daydreaming again about writing a book. Don't know that I have much to say that hasn't already been said before but ever so often I get the idea to start writing one. Even picked out a title - "What the hell are you thinking?" Went for the shock factor as I was imagining someone like the lady who runs the library at our church trying to decide what to do with it because of the title. Also funny to imagine people talking about it at church and trying to decide if they should say the title or substitute heck in there. (I know, I have a twisted sense of humor. Just imagine the things I edit out that don't make it on here. Like I said in an earlier post, I am more comfortable these days being called radical or different.) Anyway, some of the topics I thought about for chapters included:

Transparency - willing to risk being real
Wrestling - living in the tension
Friendship - what does it take to make it worth having
Jumping - risking the chance to fail
Dreaming - what could be accomplished if we followed the dreams God gives us

Another one of those dreams that may or may not happen, but love the wild dreams God has been planting in my heart. Dreams not about succeeding in the world, but dreams about making a difference. My biggest fear is that when I am done here on earth that God will say to me - Yeah, but what difference did you make for me? I know that I often don't know whether I am making a difference or not (don't like that at all, but that is how it is for me most of the time), but I have to be willing to follow those dreams wherever they lead. So if you know me, what other topics might make good chapters for me to write? Let me hear your feedback. If you are going to read my thoughts, at least give me some suggestions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

kenneth stewart, you ol' sonuva bitch!

Kenneth said...

Lane, you get to write the forward to the book.

Andrea Ediger said...

Mmmm... I'm thinking maybe "caring - is it worth it?"

Also making me think about "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day" or something like that by Mark Batterson, I think. This would be exactly up your alley methinks.

BTW - are you sure the "what the hell were you thinking?" title wouldn't be good for a parenting book? :-)

anxiously hopeful said...

How about a chapter on inappropriate birthday gifts? (but no pictures of Lane and Brian modeling the merchandise)