Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Reminders

At lunch today I heard U2's "With or Without You" from the Joshua Tree album. That is probably one of my favorite albums of all time. The album has been out a long time but it still brings back certain feelings whenever I hear it. Some songs remind me of certain people or places, but this song is more a reminder of a period in my life. It brings back memories of being carefree and seeming to have everything still out in front of me. Whenever I hear a song from that album, it makes me want to take the day off and just go hang out with friends. (Lots of songs do that for me though.)

Also today, I had the opportunity to talk with a friend that I used to be pretty close to. Talking to him brought to mind the times we shared together and the things we used to talk about. A simple conversation brought back lots of reminders of the past experiences we shared. These two things got me wondering what type of reminders am I leaving. What are the imprints that my relationship leaves on people's lives? We are all impacting other people each day. Am I intentional with the reminders that I am building? What words will those people use to describe me? Do we treat these moments more like those forgetable songs that we hear and then quickly forget about? Are we investing in people's lives today so that 20 years from now it will create an impact or are we creating a one hit wonder that nobody remembers?

No comments: