Monday, September 1, 2008

The glacier of God

Ever ask if God was even listening? There seems to be no movement when you pray. Or the one I ask more frequently, why God? Why the suffering? Why the silence? Why don't they get it? The thing is God is constantly moving, he is powerful and he doesn't fear our questions. In the book I just finished reading ("the organic God" by Margaret Feinberg), she compares God to a glacier. I've never actually seen a glacier, but I would like to. Even more so now. She writes "The glacier makes me think of God, because like God, it is big, powerful, and constantly on the move. For hours on end, nothing appears to be happening. Ever so slowly, its presence is moving, carving, purifying and reshaping everything with which it comes into contact. God's presence in my life is like the glacier in that he is constantly pressing down, re-landscaping, and renovating the very core of who I am. He is breaking up the boulders and smoothing out the rockiest parts of my soul. He is reshaping me, and in the process he is redeeming. Like the glacier, God leaves a trail of new life behind." God is constantly moving. Maybe we don't see it in the everyday, but that doesn't change the fact he is moving in us. Shaping us and smoothing out those rough edges. Much like a glacier, I don't understand everything about God (Which I like the mysteriousness of God because I don't want something I can fully grasp. I like the fact he is beyond the limits of my imagination.) but knowing he is constantly moving is helpful for me when I can't see the small changes taking place in my life or in the situations around me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be good to add you to my list of friends with blogs! :) Good for you for starting this up! Enjoyed your first post.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again.
I like the glacier concept. It's great to know that God is working even when we can't see it.