Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pursue being naked

Confession time - I have an index card in my Bible that simply says "Pursue being naked". Not sure where I even heard transparency first described that way, but I like using the word naked as often as possible. I mean how many times do you get the chance to use the word naked when talking about spiritual things? It is fun and it throws some people off a little bit. (Not my friends, but I am sure it does some people.) The thing is a lot of time when we opt for being transparent it is a lot like we are standing naked in front of people. We spend a lot of time developing our image (I thing Sprite was on to something there - "Image is everything") and to risk being transparent with people will show the real us without any pretense. I think some people may even choose to be naked in front of people before being completely transparent. To be transparent with someone means you are willing to risk being real. The good, the bad, the ugly - it will all be there when you truly open up with someone. Being transparent means you are willing to risk your image to go deeper with that person. If we are not transparent with others, then how do we develop trust with someone? Uncomfortable - definitely, but also well worth it. Had a conversation with a friend recently where I had to admit that I was building a wall between us. I didn't know how to start the conversation or even really what to say, but I knew that I had to put it out there for discussion if I wanted be tranparent with him. Image doesn't really mean that much in the end, but a real and honest relationship - priceless! So are you ready to start being naked?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Shanna is the person you like to make fee uncomfortable with this word.
I think that we not only put on a mask or layer of clothes - we put on lots of layers (like we are going skiing). I think that sometimes I become a bit less covered with people but that doesn't mean it's the real me yet.

Chris Ediger said...

Love this! I think I wind up being too transparent at times, though. I think there needs to be transparency that is laced with grace and humility. As long as we approach truth from a humble and giving heart, I believe God can use it.

Jacob Epperson said...

I spent the past few semesters reading a lot from a psychologist, Irvin Yalom. He comes from the Existential approach to counseling, and mentions often "the space between" (Dave Matthews instantly beings to play in my mind) when telling of sessions between him and a client. Removing everything fancy, this is basically talking about making it a point to be transparent with clients. Yalom mentions regularly that transparency, interacting genuinely with clients, is the skill most fruitful in the counseling relationship - beyond all other fancy techniques and educated vocabulary. This is surely also the case with other relationships - even more so, when not restricted by professional boundaries (There are laws against being naked while in the workforce!). There's more, but I'll tell you when we talk.