Sunday, September 7, 2008

Is the balanced life a deception?

I hear a lot about living a balanced life but is that what we are really called to? Balance work, family, relationships, quality time with God, and _______ (fill in the blank). I don't do well with balance. I am an all or nothing type of person in most areas. What exactly does balanced mean? Equally splitting time between all of our options? I want to give my full attention to whatever area I am engaged in. I want an abundant life, but how does that work when I am trying to balance everything? I think I get what people mean when they say we should have a balanced life but is that what our goal should be? Is balance wrong? Probably not, but I think we settle for mediocre a lot of time because we are trying to balance it all. Shouldn't we strive for the best and not balance? More questions than answers, but I don't want to settle for things just because that's what everyone keeps saying. Wrestle with it awhile and let me know what you think about "the balanced life".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I always thougt your time management and balance was much better than mine. Anyone who has 3 active boys, several good friends, a great relationship with spouse and a demanding job must be doing something right to keep it all together. And you even have time to read some challenging books! I completely understand where you are coming from. It's difficult to give every area of your life the proper amount of time. Sometimes I wonder how people do it. But then I realize we all struggle with this at different times in our lives.

Chris Ediger said...

I think time management is a joke. (Or maybe I'm just saying that because I suck so bad at it).

I'd say that the balance that I see that is biblical is that of...

Rest & work
Being & doing


I'm not sure it is supposed to be half and half, but it definitely has to be experienced on both ends. Someone wiser than me said that we are to work from rest, not rest from work. Ouch. Not doing very good at that one right now.

Good words.

Anonymous said...

Phillip yancey says that balance is kind of a deception because he believes that suggests there is something in the middle... that it's like half and half...or when it comes to living... half-(hearted) Yancey suggests however that life and God are both found in the extremes. Love and Holiness... Forgiveness and accountability. etc. That maybe we go hard... where ever it is... that we are... in both or all directions.

I think when it comes to life, work and rest... the life cycles... that we work hard... and rest hard..

GK Chesterton acts like it is a balance... but suggests that the balance is like trying to stand on the back of two wild horses... Galloping together at the same time.. trying to go in the same direction.

What is my LOVE/HOLINESS life supposed to look like??? I believe it is a matter of holding on to both extremes. Even when sometimes if feels like a paradox. Is God in both? Its hard for me to get it... and live it for that matter... Because Im not God. But Im not sure I am supposed to get it.. in the sense that i can deliver it in 3 easy points. But I think it all comes together in the walk.

Good thoughts. a lot to chew on...