Friday, September 12, 2008

Predictable unpredictability

I've decided that one of the things I can count on in life is that it will be unpredictable. I love that! Now I'm not a huge fan of the security alarm going off for some random reason at 2:30 a.m. like it did this morning. Or the fact that it did it again 30 minutes later after I thought we had it fixed. (Finally disconnected it and that seems to work for the time being.) The unpredictable that I love is the mystery of how God works in people's lives. Had the chance to visit with a good friend of mine last night for 4 or 5 hours. I would have to say it was one of those "thin places" moments. The "thin places" is a term that I heard of from my brother-in-law which basically means that place where the space between us and the Kingdom is thin and we catch a glimpse of God. I love those moments! I was thinking on the way home about the conversations that we had just had about how God was moving in our lives and reflecting on a totally different conversation that I had with that same person less than a year ago. If I took that snapshot in time from out conversation a year ago, there is no way that I could have predicted that I would have been sitting with him discussing the things we did last night. The funny thing is that we lay out our plans or try to anticipate what is coming next when the only thing we can really guess correctly is that we have no idea what God might bring along our path next. I wouldn't have it any other way. How has God been moving unpredictably in your life?

No comments: