Thursday, September 11, 2008

How much do our words mean?

Rambling thought (or rant?) for the day. Is it just me (very likely) or does anyone else get tired of hollow statements? Let me explain what I mean by a hollow statement. The biggest culprit is the infamous "How are you doing?" as the person walks away without even really waiting for an answer. Really? Why bother? I know it is a fill-in similar to "How about the weather?" for conversation, but when people I know ask me that question I tend to think they really want to know. Turns out that most of the time they don't. Another one that I've heard several times lately is "Man, we need to get together soon." To me that implies that some sort of effort will be made to actually make that happen. A call to maybe go grab lunch or go to Starbucks and talk for awhile, something. Turns out I was wrong on that one too. I know these aren't big deals and that I've probably been guilty of making similar hollow statements, but I've found that it is gradually making my heart more and more callous to those people and also less willing to trust them or their sincerity. I want to take people at their word, but when we treat our words so casually they tend to be worth little to nothing in my opinion. Words mean little to me when they aren't backed up by our actions. I hear "I value your friendship" but without any action I tend to doubt it. For me actions do speak louder than words. Again this is probably just my warped view of the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know i have a thought on this one because in the school world this happens all the time (at least the first part of the 'how are you' pass-by). I started really thinking about this a few years ago when I would think similar to you about someone asking how i am and in my opinion not caring really - it was just something to say - and of course I'm sure i did it plenty too - I can't say I didn't care when i asked, but I probably didn't have the original intention of stopping for a long conversation either. I started observing more and made sure that if I asked the question I at least stopped in my steps to hear an answer. I started realizing that it was just the 'fault' (for lack of a better word) of the person asking the how are you. It was just as much the responder. How many times did i just answer "good" or some form of it when in reality that might not have been how it was going. I was making the assumption they didn't care - I decided something negative on them before I ever gave them the chance to show me they actually wanted to know how I was. So when someone asks me how I am and I answer good and I lied - that was my fault - I can't put any blame on them. If I ask how someone is doing and they answer in a way that requires more of my attention I'll stop and chat or be thoughtful about finding another time to talk further if I'm short on time. Conclusion - I realized neither party is solely responsible for the interaction.