Monday, September 8, 2008

Argument with God

Had an interesting discussion/argument with God early this morning. Of course I lost the argument (or was a winner because I lost), but it didn't stop me from trying to plead my case. Don't know if you have read about the 5 love languages, but basically mine are quality time, words of affirmation, and physical touch. (FYI - the other two are gifts and acts of service in case you were wondering.) This is one of the filters that I see my friendships through. I often question if those relationships are real based on how much quality time am I getting to spend with those people, do they verbally confirm those relationships, am I getting my weekly requirement of hugs, etc. (Thankfully I don't ever seem to question this with my wife. Another area she is amazing in.) I want to know that I am accepted and our friendship is valued. As I was whining again to God about me not feeling accepted in some relationships, he said "I love you". I was like yeah I know that but I don't feel that from others. His response - "but I love you". But... "no, I love you". That is when the discussion was over. (Like I ever really had much of a chance anyway. I am sure he finds humor in our efforts to display our knowledge compared to his infinite knowledge.) At that point it struck me again that his love is so overwhelming and so much more than I can imagine that I can never explore the entire depth of it or find where it runs out (which it doesn't). Do I still want/need those other relationships in my life? Sure, but they don't define whether I am loved and accepted or not. They are just the extra icing on the cake.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm so glad that God gave you that message this morning. He always knows what to say even when I don't. I love you too by the way!