Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Looking back

Read a blog this morning that caught my attention. It was talking about how we need to slow down and see the things around us as it isn't so much about the destination as it is the journey. I think we can get so focused on where we are heading that we often fail to see where we are at and where we have been. I like looking back. It brings to mind various people that I've shared life with. It isn't uncommon for me to run into someone I coached in soccer, who I used to work with, or who I knew from church. If it is someone I haven't seen in awhile, the conversation usually starts "Remember when..." I like those "remember whens". Those are part of my journey that I got to share with that person. Some people I am still on that journey with and I want to slow down enough to realize and appreciate that. If I am so focused on the destination then I miss out on more of those "remember when" moments. Those are what make it worth it. It is kind of like many of the youth trips that I have been on. The destination may have been a CIY conference or retreat, but the reality is the fun we had, the conversation that took place on the bus or late at night in a dorm room, the random, unexpected events that happened are what create the "remember when..." moments. Stop and think back about the journey you have taken so far. What people have you had the opportunity to share in your journey? Who is on that journey with you now? To quote Ferris Bueller "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

No comments: