Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tough issues

How do you deal with tough issues? I was reading a blog yesterday that threw the though topic of how does a person who is a Christian deal with also being homosexual. (Which funny enough, was also got brought up in our discussion last night in AZero.) I found it very interesting to read the comments left on the blog. Some recited things they had been taught, others outright attacked the person and also the person who posed the question on her blog (a very small minority actually), and several said they didn't know for sure but offered the insights they had. What struck me the most was that a lot of the people had put quite a bit of thought into it and were very humble in their approach. I think Christians a lot of times are painted as arrogant and very black and white in their thinking. I never liked that model. There are some things that may be clearer to me than others, but how I address those tough topics (which are usually very personal in nature and not as theoretical as often posed) is what I think most people walk away from in these types of discussions. If someone walks away willing to continue asking the tough questions even if they might not agree with my view, then I have approached the discussion with humility. It isn't a contest to prove who is right, it is a chance to figure out what God wants for us. The tough questions and issues usually don't have easy answers (probably why they are called 'tough') but I think the openness and honesty in discussing those and the humility in dealing with them often may speak louder than the actual words I might say. Do you shy away from those tough topics? I think the same thing can be said for those situations where we might need to confront someone. The person will probably not like the confrontation, but if I have spent time trying to figure out what God wants and relay that in humility, I am guessing that it is going to be received a lot better than the"I'm right and you're wrong" type approach. What's your take? If you have been on the receiving end of one of those conversations (disagreement with your point of view or confronted), what impressions have you been left with? I think humility is one of the most upside down things that Jesus taught because it goes so against our desires to prove we are right. Just wondering out loud today.

No comments: