Friday, January 2, 2009

Discontentment

It has been a weird couple of weeks for me. Last night I had one of those long conversations with God about it. The summary of the conversation would be as follows:

Me: I want to stop trying to control the situations in my life and worrying about how others see me. (This was preceding by quite a bit of whining on my part, but I will spare you those details.)
God: About time. I am already in control I was just waiting for you to recognize it.

Here is what I realized, the frustration that I am having with other people doesn't really effect them. I may worry about it, be angry about things, or get frustrated with the situation, but most of the time it just effects me and my attitude not them. Focusing on any perceived wrongs or how I think things ought to be just wears me out and usually doesn't change anything other than my frustration level. I control my attitude and not how others act. If my focus is on following Jesus, the other stuff really doesn't matter. It is when I start looking at myself that I start having those feelings. When I am selfish is when I am the most discontent. When Jesus is front and center, the rest falls in line. Instead of trying to change how other people act, I can change how I react and the attitude I have about it. I love the way God reveals things to us when we are ready to hear or see it.

No comments: