Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sam & Kim

Ever been touched by some amazing people in your life? There is a couple at our church who have been that type of amazing example to so many people including me. I have had the privilege to work with Sam and Kim in various roles and have to say they are one of those couples that I look to as how I want to live my life and also want to have an awesome marriage like theirs. To be around them is to see a couple who truly enjoys each other and appear to be dating most of the time. Having worked with high school students for quite awhile, I have also had the chance to hear several of them talk of wanting to have a marriage like Sam and Kim's someday (which unfortunately a lot of students rarely get a glimpse of a solid marriage like theirs). Not only their lives together but their desire to serve encourages me. Here is the latest example of how they serve and manage to go that extra mile. I had asked to borrow their house for several hours today so that I could do some planning and dreaming about ministry with some friends (which was incredible as well, but I am still processing the thoughts from today and last night so that will have to be a post on another day) and when we left for lunch, sitting on my car were Starbuck gift cards for each of us. We get the chance to use their home and they leave us thank you notes with a gift. How awesome is that? They are people who give of themselves - their time, their resources, whatever way they can find to serve and bless others. Know someone like that? People who touch your life and make an impact on your life by the way they consistently live out their lives. If you know someone like that, take a moment to let them know. They don't do it for the "thank you", but those who encourage so frequently rarely get to hear it. I'll leave it with a couple of quotes that I have read recently regarding encouragement:

"If you think something good, say it." - Craig Groeschel

"We think if we encourage sparingly, it will mean more when we do give it. Then people will really appreciate it. - This works about as well as watering your lawn a couple times a year. Or paying your bills every other month, so the vendors will really appreciate your contribution." - Steven Furtick

Take a moment to write that thank you note. It doesn't take much time, but it can make a huge difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sam and kim are definitely good people. so are you and lisa. nice post.