Sunday, January 4, 2009

Giving away trust

Been thinking about trust recently and how we earn that trust? I think one of the main ways you earn trust is by giving away your trust. For me that means trusting someone's intentions even though I might not see the actions yet. Also it means I am willing to put myself out there even though I don't know what will be done with it. If you want someone's trust then you have to be willing to risk your trust. Another way that trust is "earned" is when we admit we messed up to the person before they hear it from someone else. Do people fear the way you will respond when they make a mistake? They are probably not going to trust you then. Trustworthy = worthy of trust. (Pretty simple, huh?) The tension for me is when do I stop trusting someone? Seems foolish to give your trust to someone who keeps misusing it, but is there a certain number of times I continue to trust someone's intentions when they fail to come through? I don't know. I know it becomes harder for me to trust that person, but does that mean I stop trusting them? I know I have been burned in the past and to give that trust again is one of the hardest things for me to do. I want to be known as trustworthy, but am I giving my trust to others in order to earn their trust? Trusting someone at their word is often hard for me these days. I want to believe in them and trust, but experience often tells me otherwise. Is it a lack of trustworthiness on their part or lack of trust on my part? No clear answers for me right now. I continue to work through it and try to trust. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good questions... I think we may need to wrestle with trust as it relates to forgiveness. Maybe their is no relation. Maybe we have to forgive someone before we can really trust them, or maybe that takes away the "trust" altogether and we actually need to trust them even if we haven't forgiven them...I don't know. I just know that you post is strikingly similar to the conversation between Peter and Jesus in Matthew 18.