Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Do not be afraid

I was reading in Genesis today and found one of my favorite phrases that seems to create the exact opposite reaction every time it is spoken - Do not be afraid. Yeah, I won't be afraid that I am in the presence of holiness. Just another calm, normal day at the office. What struck me this time in reading it, was that Abraham wasn't afraid. He proceeded to ask God how he was going to be the father of a great nation when he had yet to even have one child. He wasn't afraid to be honest with God and say I don't understand this. You made me a promise and I haven't seen it happen yet. Do you ever feel like that? I do. I want to say, God what is up? I thought this was the direction you were leading me. Has that changed? We tend to shy away from being that direct with God, but the real question is why? He knows our hearts so it isn't like it will be a big surprise to Him. I think for me it speaks more of my distance from God. I am not comfortable in his presence because I don't know Him well enough to speak my mind. I think about my close friends and how I will tell them what is really happening in my heart, but with people I don't know as well I tend to spin it a little different or hold back some of it. If I am in a deep relationship with God, then I should feel more comfortable asking those why type questions. If I am close, then I won't be afraid to ask what is on my heart. It doesn't need to be worded in a particular way or cleaned up, but can be raw emotion. God won't be surprised or hurt by my questioning. Matter of fact I think He will enjoy that I am coming to Him with the desires of my heart and my questions. It says that I desire a close relationship with Him. Healthy awe of God and his holiness - definitely, but I don't need to be afraid to come before Him.

No comments: